Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Chicken Scallopini

Last night on the spur of the moment I had some chicken breast that I needed to cook up and I had thought that I would make a breaded chicken patty baked in the oven.  So I asked Michael to flatten the chicken breast for me and when I got back he had really taken some of his aggressions from the day out on the chicken breast.  Poor guy, he must have had a very trying day at work!  The chicken breast were now flatter than a pancake so I had to come up with plan B.  I had had the chicken breast soaking in some buttermilk which I had learned helps to tenderize the meat as well as makes it nice and juicy.  So I decided to take the crushed corn flakes, gluten-free ov course, that I was going to use as a breading and spice it up a little.  I added garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some Italian seasoning and finely grated paremsan cheese to it.  I mixed it all up and dipped the chicken into it before placing them on a greased shallow cookie sheet.  Before placing in the oven I drizzled some good quality olive oil on the tops of the mutilated chicken breast to help crisp up the tops.

I use a nice local olive oil by Bariani that I purchase at the Farmer's Market.  Allow the chicken breast to cook for about 10 to 15 minutes, turning half way through the process.  Serve with marinara sauce and some more grated parmesan cheese over the top.  It was very tasty.  So I accidentally happened upon a new recipe to add to our repetoire and everyone in my family was quite pleased!  Who says you can't make mistakes in the kitchen and then come out smelling like roses?  You know the old addage, when someone gives you lemons, you make lemonade.  This is what can happen when you dare to experiment!  So dare away!!

Chicken Scallopini

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups of buttermilk
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed dried oregano
2 teaspoons Italian seasonings (parsley, sweet basil, rosemary, thyme, and sage)
1 cup crushed gluten-free corn flakes
Olive oil
1 jar of pre-made spaghetti sauce (Eden Organic)
1 cup Fresh grated Parmesan cheese

Take the chicken breast and place each one between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten with a meat tenderizer or large, heavy skillet.  Place the flattened chicken in a bowl with the buttermilk for 2 hours or the night before.  This helps to tenderize the chicken and helps to make the chicken nice and juicy.
Place corn flakes in a food processor with garlic powder and herbs, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.  Pulse until corn flakes are crushed.  You can leave it a little more chuncky if you like it that way.  Place corn flakes on a flat plate.
Remove chicken from the buttermilk, and dispose of buttermilk.  Dip the chicken breast into the corn flakes mixture.  make sure all sides are coated.  Place the coated chicken breasts onto a greased jelly roll pan.  Drizzle a little olive oil over the tops of the coated chicken breasts to help crisp up the chicken and to help with browning.  Put in a 425 degree oven and turn once the first side has browned sufficiently about 8 to 10 minutes.  Should not take more than 15 minutes to bake.  Once chicken has been removed from the oven pour a little pre-heated spaghetti sauce over the top and add freshly grated parmesan cheese on the top of the sauce.  Serve with pasta and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment