Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Gluten free "Hollywood Eggs"


I was introduced to "Hollywood Eggs"when I got together with my husband Michael.  This can be a breakfast and often times a dinner in our household.  It is relatively easy to make and they are so snazzy and glamorous that they were named "Hollywood Eggs". 

When I researched this recipe on-line all I found was a small excerpt on the Recipezaar: "When my mother and father saw these eggs made in a movie, sometime in the 30's or early 40's, they adopted it into the family cookbook and named it "Hollywood Eggs".  My favorite part was "the Mop", the circle of sauted bread that I used to dip into the runny egg yolk." 

I have also found recipes for it under the name "Eggs With Hats On Top".  My husband got the recipe in college while visiting the mom of his girl friend.  It is a highly treasured one in our repetoire.  It can be made with gluten-free bread, with butter or Earth Balance, eggs, salt and pepper to taste.  It doesn't get more simple than that, but the kids always enjoyed how snazzy they looked, how glamorous they made them feel, and the name of course was always a shoe in.



Hollywood Eggs


10 min
5 min prep

1 egg per person

1 slice of your favorite gluten-free bread (We use Udi's Whole Grain, or Glutino's Flaxseed Bread)

butter
salt and pepper to taste


The directions say to use a drinking glass turned upside down to cut a hole in the center of your bread slices.  I use my biscuit cutter to make a perfect round becasue we all know how persnikety gluten-free bread can be.  Save the circle you cut out of the center of the bread.  Butter (or Easrth Balance) each side of the bread including the rounds that were cut out.  Spray the griddle or skillet with non-stick spray. Put bread slices on the hot griddle or skillet along with the rounds you cut out of the center of the bread.  Once each side has browned, crack an egg in each of the holes of bread. When the egg sets up firm, then turn and fry on other side until the egg is sufficiently cooked.  Make sure you turn your little rounds of bread over as well.  Season to taste.  My husbnad likes his egg cooked almost to the consistency of a semi-hard boiled egg.  I like my whites completely cooked and my yolk firm but still runny.  To each his own.  Serve the "Hollywood Eggs" with your little rounds of bread to help mop up the yolk if any.  If you place the bread rounds on top of the eggs then you can call them "Eggs with Hats On".
If interested check out the Recipezaar on this link:  http://www.recipezaar.com/Hollywood-Eggs-182164 .

1 comment:

  1. great idea. Ive gotta try this now that we love Udi bread :)

    ReplyDelete