Monday, December 21, 2009

Homemade carmel corn


Carmel corn is a great gluten-free treat around the holidays.  It is not too expensive, too time consuming, it is very easy to make, and tastes like you absolutely spent hours creating it.  Did I mention that it looks great in clear cellophane bags as well?  We often package the carmel corn up and give it out as gifts for Christmas.  It was so loved that it became a yearly request from friends and family.







I acquired this recipe in the early 80's while I was working at Joyland Preschool in Citrus Heights.  Pat "the cook" was our chief cook and bottle washer there. Pat  had some incredible recipes and was always creating phenominal dishes.  She knew I had a love for cooking and would often share her family recipes with me.  I had never tasted carmel corn this good in my life, nor have I since.


1 ¾ cup butter

2 cups brown sugar

½ cup dark corn syrup

1 tsp salt

½ tsp soda

1 tsp vanilla

6-8 qts popped corn


Melt butter, stir in brown sugar, syrup and salt. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 min. Remove from heat, stir in soda and vanilla. Gradually pour over popped corn, mixing well. (use a turkey roasting pan) Bake in 250o oven for 1 hr., stirring every 15 min.



No comments:

Post a Comment