Monday, March 16, 2009

Garbanzos Guisados ~ Chick Pea Stew

I don't know why but recently I have been trying to replicate dishes that my mother would make. Garbanzos guisados or chick pea stew was one of my favorites, athough I got the distinct impression from my mom that she felt that this dish was not one of her best. Again, I am not sure why. Perhaps she thought it was a quick dish, as the garbanzos were canned and all she had to do was make the sofrito (garlic, onion, bell pepper, cilantro and oregano), a little diced ham, and some tomato sauce. It was considered a poor man's stew. But I loved it and so did all of my children as well as my husband. Now keep in mind my mother was a phenominal cook and so she had many dishes that we loved and tabbed this as one of our favorites. I think that since the 5th anniversary of my mother's death in February I felt that I needed to honor her some how. One of her greatest passions was cooking and so to serve these dishes to my husband and children would be a great honor. If nothing else it would serve to bring back the fond memories and delicious aromas of their childhood at their abuela's house. So we served the garbanzos guisados over white Jasmine rice. I will say I ran out of time to make the salad. Sorry Mom. but I did complete the meal with a new dessert. It was a recipe from Giada De Laurentiis that I converted to gluten-free. It is called the Double Choco-Raz Brownie (well that is my name for it anyway). It is a dark chocolate brownie with swirls of raspberry jam throughout, and once it is cooked you pour little spirals of melted white chocolate. I am not much of a brownie fan, but my husbnad and daughter absolutely loved it. Giada's recipe called for a boxed brownie mix, and I said yuck! So I got one of my gluten-free brownie recipes with a few additions. I changed the very little flour that the recipe had in it to 1 cup of coconut flour, and 1/4 cup of brown rice flour. The texture turned out great. Recipes soon to follow (once I figure out how to copy and post recipies on this blog).

1 comment:

  1. Your mother's chick pea stew sounds delicious! What a great way to honor your mother by making some of the dishes she did.

    Your Double Choco-Raz Brownie looks wonderful, too.

    Ida A.

    ReplyDelete