Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gluten Free Tempura and Chocolate Fondue Party with my Girlfriends

On Saturday, March 14th, 2009 I hosted our monthly gathering with my "girlfriends" that I graduated with from high school. We all graduated from St. Francis High School (an ALL girls high school) here in Sacramento in 1979. I know what you are thinking?! that was eons ago!! Well it was. But we are all going strong, and through thick and thin we are there for each other. So this month was my turn to host and usually we take turns either going out to eat or eating at one of our homes. With the economy so great I decided to do a tempura and chocolate fondue party. This way we would all share the burden of cost and it would still be less expensive than going out to eat at a restaurant.

Each of the gals brought a veggie, a meat and a fruit. I supplied the tempura batter, dipping sauce, homemade pound cake, raspberries, and drinks. It was yummy! This was the first time I had attempted doing a gluten free tempura party. I must say it was just as easy as a regular tempura party and just as delectable!

We had broccoli, asparagus, green beans, sweet potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms, and carrots. As far as meats we had pork, chicken, beef and shrimp. It was so dee-lish!! I took a regular tempura batter recipe and used the Featherlight Flour Mix from Bette Hagman that I use for an all purpose flour. I did not need any xanthan gum in this recipe as it rose perfectly well with the egg and the baking powder that was in it. Then my girl friend, Cathy gave me a recipe for "Suzie's Million Dollar Dipping Sauce". Once again I changed it up to be gluten free by using the wheat free tamari sauce instead of regular soy sauce. This sauce was easy to create and absolutely to die for.

I also made a fantastic cocktail from a recipe from the "Barefoot Contessa". It was Pom Fresh (100% Concentrated Pomegranate juice), the juice of 1 lime, the zest from 1 lime, sparkling water and champagne. Pour all of this over a bed of ice in a large pitcher. It is very colorful, tasty, and actually good for you. It can be made without the champagne with just the sparkling water for a great , refreshing non-alcoholic cocktail.

Now let's not forget the heavenly chocolate fondue! We had apples, raspberries, bananas, pineapple, and pound cake. All of our taste buds were popping!! It was absolutely scrumptious!

It did take a while to fry it all up, but it was definitely worth the wait. And while we waited we caught up with each other. Out of our group I am the only one on a gluten-free diet and my girl friends have been staunch supporters and very encouraging. I love that when they eat my gluten free connections that they cannot even tell that they are gluten free. They seem to enjoy their gluten free fare as the umms, and oh's, and wow this is delicious went around the table several times. It was so great to see my dear friends, to catch up on their lives, and to get the much needed monthly hug! Many thanks to my amazing "Girl Friends"!! Until next month at Mary's!!

2 comments:

  1. Food seems to be quite amazing. I am planning a birthday party for my best friend at one of the supreme LA venue in a couple of weeks. Will surprise her with her favorite red velvet cake and cuisines. Hope she feels special.

    ReplyDelete